Position Title: Queer Career Coach Job Type: Part time, 20-25 hours/month
Reports to: Founder
Position Location: Remote
About this role
Mossier’s Queer Career Coach is the main point of contact for our Queer job seeker community. This person is responsible for growing and maintaining long-term relationships with job seekers, providing support and assistance at key points of the job seeker journey, and connecting our employer partners with a new network of talented people. We created this role in order to help Queer people navigate and overcome inequities in hiring and to help them think bigger about their personal and professional life goals.
Mossier works with organizations to develop workplace equity for everyone LGBTQ. We are a community for people to listen, test ideas, learn, and grow. Mossier operates a job board, resume database, and meet-ups for Queer leaders and job seekers in addition to a career coaching program aimed not just at helping Queer people land jobs but truly thrive as Queer leaders. Mossier offers training, consulting and meet-ups to employers who are building affirming cultures for LGBTQ people
What we believe in
- Our decisions are based on equity so we meet people where they are at.
- We lead with curiosity to listen, learn, and adapt to all types of people and workspaces.
- We apply our imagination to rethink ways to take on long-standing challenges in an evolving world.
- We are generous with our time, with our knowledge, and with our privilege.
- We welcome all by calling people in with open hearts and minds.
- We believe that binary thinking is blasé, knowing there aren’t always clear answers.
- We choose effectiveness over excellence.
Let’s talk about you
- You’re an empathetic conversationalist that enjoys talking through challenges, providing pep talks and support when it’s needed most. You put a lot of heart and soul into your personalized approach to helping job seekers navigate questions around identity, authenticity and their life goals
- You have matchmaker vibes that understand candidate and employer wants and needs, and will use this superpower to bring people together.
- You see challenges as opportunities. Landing a job is hard work, not to mention full of demoralizing challenges. We’re rewriting the rules around “talent acquisition” and you’re a big part of this new way of working.
- You’re committed to helping people from underrepresented backgrounds, whether that be due to their race, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, class, age, ability, etc. navigate hiring inequities and challenge institutional roadblocks
- You keep yourself organized with lots of moving pieces and are comfortable with autonomy. Mossier is growing, as is our roster of member organizations. And this is a newish role for us! We ask you to tap into your entrepreneurial spirit to discover solutions.
- Community Builder: You will be responsible for growing and maintaining relationships with LGBTQ job seekers and the recruiting teams at our employer partners. You’ll be our ear on the ground and help us make decisions about how to best support LGBTQ job seekers
- Career coach: You will provide support for Mossier’s job seekers throughout the hiring milestones such as career discovery, interview prep, resume review, pep talks, and a kind ear when the inevitable rejection email pops up. Coaching is conducted in both one-on-one and group settings.
- Facilitator: Mossier hosts recurring meet-ups (virtual events) for Queer leaders and job seekers on trending topics in addition to meet-ups that showcase our employer partners and their DEI (diversity, equity and inclusion) initiatives. You’ll facilitate these conversations that help Queer folks get hired and get ahead.
- Linguistically adept: Employers and job seekers often don’t speak the same language. You will help both sides better understand their needs and desired outcomes. You can translate recruiting industry lingo in a way that empowers job seekers and vice-versa.
- Digitally minded: Between WordPress, Hubspot and staying in contact with tools like Zoom and Slack throughout the workday, we rely a lot upon technology.
- Bring the fun: We are excited to see what you bring to our culture, something we didn’t even know we needed (until we found you!).
- Recruiter: 1-2 years of recruiting, community building or similar experience.
- Partnerships: Experience in forming strategic partnerships, any sales and/or business development is a plus
- Content Creator: Mossier has a growing blog and social media presence and we are looking to add evergreen resources and content for job seekers. Content like: “Navigating Dress Codes in an Interview” and “How to tell if an employer is actually LGBTQ inclusive” and “7-Steps for Interview Success”.
- Any formal training or certifications in the career coaching field are a plus
*Studies have shown that people from marginalized communities are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every qualification. At Mossier, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
- Mossier’s team is based in the Twin Cities, but you could be located anywhere.
- Reliable cell phone access and high-speed internet are required, and we can support you with technology access if need be.
- You are generally available to work 20 hours per month. Our core work hours are typically around 9-5 CST but you will have flexible scheduling depending on job seeker availability
- We work on Mac computers and utilize the Apple suite of programs. It doesn’t mean that you have to be on a Mac, but we want you to know this about us.
- We’re open-minded. Let us know what’s important to you.
To apply, please email [email protected] with the following info:
- Share a few sentences that let us know a bit about your skills and what you would bring to our organization.
- Include your resume as a PDF document.
- Share links to your LinkedIn and any other social media, portfolio, website, writing examples, and anything else you are comfortable sharing with us.
About the process
We believe in a respectful and transparent hiring process. Some of the specifics include:
- Application window is July 19, 2023 through August 18, 2023. We are extending this position to the Mossier network through current employee outreach, posting on the Mossier jobs platform, social media, and local job sites.
- We will review applications and start meeting people in early August. We will contact every applicant.
- Our goal is to have final interviews and be ready to make an offer by the end of September. Because this is such an important role for our organization, we realize it could take longer.